Wednesday 29 May 2013

Moneyball (2011)


Aside from films one of my other great loves in life is sport. My main focus is football, although I do enjoy watching rugby, Formula One, the occasional bit of basketball, and I've always got time for the Superbowl. One sport that has never really grabbed my attention though is baseball. I don't really get it and it's never captivated my interest long enough for me to learn. So when I sat down to watch Moneyball (2011) although I had high hopes, due to a very likable cast and what seemed like a decent story, I was apprehensive about how interesting I'd find a film revolving around a sport which I couldn't care less about. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

I found the story incredibly engaging throughout the film and my lack of knowledge about baseball didn't really become an issue. Based on the 2003 book of the same name Moneyball is the story of Oakland A's general manager, and former player, Billy Beane's attempt to assemble a baseball team on a tight budget by employing computer-generated analysis  to acquire new players. Although it may not sound like the most riveting plot I can assure you it works.

As I said, I can in no way profess to be a baseball fan. I know the basic facts enough to understand what's going on and that's all you really need going in to Moneyball because the film doesn't revolve around the ins and outs of professional baseball, it's all about the interaction between character's and the brutal reality of the sports industry. That's why it works.

A lot of credit has to go to some very impressive performances by the film's leads. Brad Pitt, although beloved by many, doesn't display what a talented actor he can be enough, instead getting drawn into doing too many popcorn flicks with no real substance. In this we see a really subtle brilliant performance by Pitt as he brings struggling GM Billy Beane to life. Philip Seymour Hoffman, although playing a slightly smaller role than you'd usually expect, also turns in a really great performance as the teams head coach. But in my eyes the show is stolen by Jonah Hill.

Everyone know's Hill as the overweight loser who swears too much and smokes copious amounts of weed, but what we get introduced to here is statistical genius Jonah Hill who's painfully socially awkward. I'm a big Jonah Hill fan, I think he's hilarious, but at times I think it's fair to say he plays it safe with his roles. This is totally out of his comfort zone and I think he nails it perfectly, fully deserving his academy award nomination. Another moment of acting that put a smile on my face was by Arliss Howard (I'd never heard of him either) who played a small role as Boston Red Sox owner John Henry. As many of you may know Henry is now the owner of Liverpool FC, the team which I follow religiously, meaning that I've seen a fair share of interviews with him and I think Howard nailed his voice and mannerisms spot on. Not strictly a crucial scene or performance, but one that should definitely bring a smile to the faces of any Liverpool fans.

I think any film that's based on a book which is based on a true story runs the risk of losing its heart through over recreating itself. Moneyball avoids this wonderfully, keeping true to the core that makes this story so interesting and emotional. It's blatant why this film was nominated for six academy awards, because it's a truly brilliant film. The story was fantastic and the acting was superb - although it did make me miss the days when Jonah Hill was chubby, to quote the man himself "there's nothing funny about a physically fit man". I think the biggest compliment I can pay this film is that it almost made me want to go out and watch a baseball game. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment