Friday 4 January 2013

The Next Bond


Although Daniel Craig has reportedly signed a fresh new two film deal with MGM, there will always be speculation about who will be next to slip into the shiny shoes of James Bond. Craig should have called it a day after Skyfall, purely because it was a close to perfection as he is ever likely to get and you should always try and end on a high, but that's not to say I won't be looking forward to seeing him once again grace our screens as 007. However, inevitably it will be time for him to pass the role on and here are a few of the candidates who have been linked with our nation's greatest secret agent:


Christian Bale, 38.
Known for: The Batman Trilogy, American Psycho, The Fighter
Born: Pembrokeshire, Wales

Bale would be a very interesting choice for the role but very risky. There is no denying the fact that the man is a phenomenal actor and can more than fill the boots of a legendary character, as shown by his stunning portrayal of Batman. The problem is he's just too gritty. On the whole people didn't take to Timothy Dalton's dark a serious take on Bond, and I worry it would be the same story if Christian Bale got the role. Wonderful actor, but can you really imagine him making quick witted quips at Moneypenny?

Idris Elba, 40.
Known for: Prometheus, Thor, The Wire
Born: London, England

This name has cropped up a lot in the past few months, especially after Skyfall star Naomie Harris publicly backed Elba to get the role. I'd be more than happy to make the statement that racism isn't a problem, and the viewpoint of a small handful of bigoted fools out there are certainly not held by most people. However, there is no escaping that James Bond isn't black. Neither is he blonde though. I think the world is more than ready for a black Bond and I think that Elba would do a very good job of it. That's not the problem. The problem is he's 40. There is usually at least a two year gap between Bond films, meaning that given the fact that Craig is signed on for two more films it would be at least six years before Elba even got onto our screens. In my opinion that's just too old to stamp your mark on the character. Unfortunately it appears that Elba left it a little too late.

Damien Lewis, 41.
Known for: Homeland
Born: London, England

Probably the least well known actor on the list, which is a shame because he's really quite talented. Lewis has risen to prominence after some outstanding performances as the lead role in American television series Homeland. The man has one hell of a British accent, he can pull off a suit, he's fairly handsome and you can firmly imagine him coming out with cheesy yet funny one liners. He has his fair share of problems though. Firstly, his hair. Ginger has always been a controversial colour in the head department and although the nation has come to love a blonde Bond I'm not sure a ginger one would sit quite right. Also he's hardly the tough type. I can hardly see him punching bad guys with any conviction. Finally, at 41 he's too old. I think Lewis would've made a good Bond, but I'm afraid the role shouldn't be heading his way.

Sam Worthington, 36.
Known for: Avatar, Man On A Ledge, Clash Of The Titans
Born: Surrey, England

This is a tough one. Sam Worthington, although starring in quite a few really big films, isn't the most well known actor. He was fantastic in Avatar, there is no doubting that, and a lot of his roles have been in action films so he wouldn't look out of place in a fight. I get it on good authority that Worthington is a bit of a "heart throb" and by the time the role opens up he should be at the right age for it. His problem is that he just lacks any sort of personality. I can't imagine him looking slick, I can't imagine him coming up with anything witty and I just can't see him as Bond. It'd be an interesting choice, but not one I'd particularly believe to be the right one.

Tom Hardy, 35.
Known for: The Dark Knight Rises, Warrior, Inception
Born: London, England

Hardy certainly appears to be a bit of a favourite with most of the people I've talked to. He was stunningly good in Christopher Nolan's final Batman installment, as well as being one of my favourite characters in award winning Inception. Tom Hardy has the posh English accent and certainly has the looks for the role. Also has the toughness that I think any Bond should possess. However, the problem with Hardy is that he's possibly too tough. I can't really see him looking smooth and fixing his tie with a girl on his arm. All I see is him smashing someones teeth out with his bare fists. That said, there's no denying that Hardy is a great actor and could probably change his demeanor to suit 007. Overall Hardy would make a great Bond and age isn't an issue. I'd be more than happy to see him ordering himself a martini shaken not stirred. He'd need to slim down a bit though.

Michael Fassbender, 35.
Known for: Prometheus, X-Men First Class, Inglorious Basterds
Born: Heidelberg, Germany

A German Bond would certainly be a strange one. Not strictly a proper German, Fassbender and his family moved to Ireland when he was two. So you don't have to worry that he'd be drinking his martini from a stein. Fassbender himself is a really great actor and seems to have no problem fitting a role from any nation. He also looks great in a suit. At only 35 age shouldn't be a problem as it would be for some of the others. James Bond should always be smooth talking and a good ladies man, something Fassbender possesses in abundance and more importantly should be believably tough, again something I don't think would be an issue. All in all I think Fassbender would be a great choice for the role. Definitely one to watch.

James McAvoy, 33.
Known for: Last King Of Scotland, Wanted, X-Men First Class
Born: Port Glasgow, Scotland

James McAvoy is a really hard one too judge. I really like him as an actor and I can't really remember him being in anything I didn't think he was good in. The world's best Bond was Scottish, so I'll always root for a man north of the border, and I think it's fair to say he's a handsome lad. As the baby of the bunch he's the most likely to be able to maintain the role for the longest until the grey sets in. The problem is that he's a bit of a dribble. It's not that I can't see him getting into a fight with an armed guard whilst he tries to escape a room full of sharks, it's just that I can't imagine him winning. If you were a Pierce Brosnan fan I'm sure McAvoy would be fine, but as I've made clear I like a tough Bond. So, as much as it pains me to say it, I'm afraid I don't think McAvoy would be right for the role.




 Written by Ash Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment